Saturday, April 28, 2012

Determination

A couple of summers ago, my ex-boyfriend (an unfortunate mention but part of the story) and I went to the beach.  He was great at finding whole sand dollars and some of the prettiest seashells.  As we walked along the beach we came to a point where there were a cluster of rocks.  He said sometimes you find some pretty nice shells hidden in them.  So as we looked, I saw this really pretty conch shell stuck in between two rocks.  I wanted that shell.  My ex said there was no way to get it out but I was determined and started pushing, pulling, attempting to lift the rock off it, and even banging it out with a small rock trying not to damage it.  Nothing.  It wasn't going to budge.  But I wanted it. So I continued...push, pull, lift and bang.  Repeating this process for about twenty minutes.  My ex thought I was crazy and suggested I should forget it.  But I wanted it.  So again....push, pull, lift and bang.  Another twenty minutes go by and I finally decided to give up.  I walked away but then decided to turn back.  I got that small rock and my adrenaline was pumped!  I hammered that shell until finally....VICTORY!!!  There it was.  All mine and with little scarring on the shell.

Sometimes we are like that stuck seashell.  At one point in our lives we lived free, got caught up in the tide and then stuck just waiting for someone to set us free.  Determination goes two ways.  God and us.  He is determined to have us close to Him so He pushes, pulls, lifts heavy rocks off us, and smacks us with a hammer to get us unstuck.  Our determination is to be free again.  Once we get stuck, we do what we can to try to get out of a tough spot.  We pray, we search and we even wait to be saved.  And without fail, God does save us and then we are all His. 

"But now, thus says the Lord, who created you, O Jacob, And He who formed you, O Israel:  "Fear not, for I have redeemed you;  I have called you by your name;  you are Mine.  When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;  and through the rivers, they shall not overflow you.  When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, nor shall the flame scorch you.  For I am the Lord your God, the Holy one of Israel, your Saviour....."  Isaiah 43:1 



No comments: