Monday, April 23, 2012

Don't Sweat The Small Stuff

I moved into my apartment in August of 2011 and my living quarters were cut in half, so needless to say, my space had to be used wisely.  I got the idea of putting a wall shelf up from my dear friend who had one in her bedroom to put odds and ends on.  So the search began.  At that time my budget was super tight and there was no room for purchasing such simple items as a wall shelf.  It actually made me a little sad and did say a small prayer for help in finding what I needed to help make my cubicle a home. 

One fine morning, I took the dogs for their morning potty time and as we were walking back to the apartment, I noticed something laying under the tree.  From far away it was hard to notice what it was but as we got closer it became more apparent and kept thinking, "That can't be what I think it is." But it most certainly was.  A shelf.  In near perfect condition and just the right size.  I picked it up and looked around to see if there was anyone to be seen.  In that moment, I became a shady character of sorts and hurried the dogs inside.  There was no way I was going to let this thing slip through my fingers. 

I went to work that day and told my friend all about the finding.  The story went as so, "It was the weirdest thing. I was walking the dogs and there it was!  A wood shelf up against a tree.  It was as if Jesus carved it out of the branches and plopped it right next to the tree for me to find.  It's Jesus' shelf.  That's what it is!"  And that is what it was known as from that moment on....Jesus' shelf.

I tell this tiny tale because to some it may seem to be an insignificant thing, but it was what I needed at the time and God was more than happy to provide.  Plus it was an opportunity for Him to give an example that there is nothing too small for Him to take care of or even care about.  It was important to me so it became important to Him. 

"If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in Heaven give good things to those who ask Him!"  Matthew 7:11


No comments: