Monday, March 12, 2012

Love Me, Notice Me, Want Me

My friend gave me a book called "Lady in Waiting."  I have only read the first few chapters, but wow!  What a difference it's making in my life already.

I have written a little bit about being single and even brought out my humorous side about the subject.  But this book touches on how, as single women, we need to take advantage of this time and make the most of it as well as grow closer to God for ourselves.  It makes sense.  We sit here and worry about whether or not we will ever find our mate when that time you spend worrying...you can be doing something useful.  You can stand on your head all day long and that would be better use of that time.

So far, I was touched on a certain subject in the book that really got my brain juices flowing.  It talked about how we "set up" ways to get closer to some guy we are interested in or make it so that we get noticed by someone.  "Chance rendevous" it was called.  Doing things in hopes you will find the man of your dreams (or for the fellas...woman of your dreams).  I took this thought one step further though.

I started thinking about how we go around trying to impress others.  We won't admit to it, but let's face it...we all want to be noticed one way or the other.  I know I do.  A brief video testimony was shown in front of thousands after all.  I went from a nobody to a somebody and by golly I refuse to go back to being a nobody again.  So now I have to do what I can to stay in the lime light....right?  No...I don't need to be doing anything.  It's not about being the center of attention.  It's about God and the people that will turn to Him because someone said something that made them know they are forgiven, not alone, and that God can change anyone and any circumstance.

It has brought me joy to see so many touched by just a sliver of my story.  But I will also boldly admit that even with all the positive feedback, I still remain alone.  Still feeling invisible and on the hunt to win the approval of others.  Feeling like I need to now work harder to keep people inspired so that at the end of the day....people will still be interested in me.  

But then I read about how when we do things to try and impress the opposite sex (or just simply others in my thought process), we have to put ourselves in check and ask, "What are my real motives for doing this?"  "Is it to impress someone or am I really doing this for God?"

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men."  Colossians 3:23

The Bible has it beautifully written and so simple. 

"Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are:  adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, SELFISH AMBITIONS, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries and the like;  of which I tell you beforehand, just as I told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God."  Galations 5:19-21

That doesn't exactly sound like the person I want to be.  I would rather become this kind of person:

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.  Against such there is not law.
......Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another."  Galatians 5:22-23,26

It won't happen overnight, but make an effort to replace a bad quality with a good one.  Before you know it, you will be the person of God you are meant to be and there will be no need for the "Look at me's."   Our satisfaction will be in working for God.  How less anxious does that make you to know you don't have to impress anyone to make them interested in you?  God is already interested and invested in you.  At the end of the day....He is the one who will notice you even if no one else does.

No comments: