Saturday, February 25, 2012

If I Would Just Talk To God the Way I Talk To My Dog

Here it is, the middle of the night and I am just feeling a little defeated about a few things going on in life.  So instead of turning to God and praying for the answers, I start talking to my other faithful companion....my dog Miko.  I lie on the bed and pat him on the head all the while he is fervently giving me kisses knowing he is needed  to heal my broken heart.  That's just like a dog.  Forever faithful until the end.  Always wanting to love, always wanting to please, always looking upon you with compassion and grace and always being the willing shoulder to cry on because after all, a dog just can not have any kind of distraught  in a home.  By nature they are always happy.  They want to love and be loyal and play and make you laugh.  That's what they live for...you.  So as I sit there telling Miko my deepest darkest secrets, he continues to give his best kisses as if to say, "Mom.  Everything is going to be just fine."  My dog.  Telling me with just a simple kiss that everything in life has a way of working out.

I am beginning to believe that there are certain healing properties to not only a dog's kiss but the look he has in his eyes as he looks upon you.  You can't find such true love anywhere.  Maybe that's why we trust our animal companions with our classified hearts not only because they literally can not tell anyone but they never judge you.  They are sympathetic to your sadness.  If someone has hurt you, they find a way to make you laugh.  Are you lonely?  They sit by your side to keep you company.  If you did something wrong, they help you work it out.  All around, they live up to the name COMPANION. 

So this is where the wheels in my head started to turn.  How come I can't seem to talk to God the way I talk to my dog?  Is it because my dogs are physically here and if I need a hug I can get it? Is it because I get a response even if it is in the form of a slobbery kiss?  It is possible the mere fact that a physical presence can bring us more comfort but if we just take a step out and reach for the Bible, we can find what we are looking for between the covers.

"Every word of God is flawless; He is a shield to those who take refuge in Him."   Proverbs 30:5

It's as simple as a dog's kiss.  All we have to do is go in under His wing.  Talk it out with Him.  Let Him know what is happening in our minds.  He's listening to us.  He is comforting us and He knows that life can just be a little too much sometimes. The confusion, fear, guilt, etc....it all goes away when He speaks to us.

No comments: