Monday, June 25, 2012

I Say I Can't....For Some Reason, You Say I Can

"Then Moses said to the Lord, 'Oh my Lord, I am not eloquent, neither before nor since You have spoken to Your servant;  but I am slow of speech and slow of tongue.'"  So the Lord said to him, "Who has made man's mouth?  Or who makes the mute, the deaf, the seeing, or the blind?  Have not I, the Lord?  Now therefore, go, and I will be with our mouth and teach you what you shall say."  But he said, "Oh my Lord, please send by the hand of whomever else You may send."  Exodus 4:10-13

Poor Moses.  God gave him a great opportunity, more like a calling, and all Moses could do is think up excuses of why he is incapable of carrying out God's request.

I know how Moses must've felt.  To begin with, Moses had a past.  He was basically adopted, found out where he really came from, killed a man, and ran away from it all.  So for him to think that God was asking the wrong person to fulfill this mission of His is understandable.  Even after God said he would help him, Moses still tried to wiggle his way out of the job.  But Moses did have something no one else contained for this mission.  Moses had familiarity.  He knew who he was going to have to deal with, he knew the area, the circumstances, and he knew both sides of the story as an adopted Egyptian and a Jew.

Moses using his inability to be persuasive with speech is just a simple way of him saying to God, "After all that has happened, after all that I have been through, and after all that I have done, why would anyone want to listen to me?"  Moses didn't feel he had it in him to persuade not only his own people but a pharoah!  This was going to be too big for what he thought he could do. 

The majority of time, I feel such inadequency.  "Who am I to carry out such a big plan God?"  I find it so easy to make excuses of why I can't instead of trusting that God will show me how.  Just like Moses, my speaking talents are next to nil.  I get nervous, forget what I have to say and I'm like a little chihuahua that pees when startled.  (Just for the record;  I do not pee myself when I get nervous).  Other excuses I've used:
  • I'm not smart enough.
  • I don't have enough money.
  • I'm not popular.
  • I'm not pretty enough.
  • I'm not tech savvy like most people.
  • Look what I've done and where I've been.
God's response is, "Exactly.  That's why I'm sending you for this one."

First of all, God doesn't think any of the things that we make ourselves believe.  That job belongs to Satan and (unfortunately) he's pretty good at his job.  Second of all, follow through with the above verse:

"So the anger of the Lord was kindled against Moses, and He said; 'Is not Aaron the Levite your brother?  I know that he can speak well.  And look, he is also coming out to meet you.  When he sees you, he will be glad in his heart.  Now you shall speak to him and put the words in his mouth.  And I will be with your mouth and with his mouth, and I will teach you what you shall do.  So he shall be your spokesman to the people.  And he himself shall be as a mouth for you, and you shall be to him as God."  Exodus 4:14-16

God has a solution to all the problems we think there are to God's plan.  So what if Moses couldn't speak well, but Aaron could.  All he needed to do was tell him what to say.

We think God is asking us to do this job alone and perfect but He is not.  We need help to carry out His plan and He will teach us in the areas we are weak so that we may follow through.  He already has all the people lined up in all the situations needed to fulfill the mission.  All you have to do is what God asks you to do.  Nothing more and nothing less.

1 comment:

Kelly Stilwell said...

This is so true Theresa! Thanks for the reminder!